PLEASE SAVE ME... START YOUR JOURNEY HERE...

Sunday 26 June 2011

1 : She's Hurt


I have always thought that life could have been better if Dad’s still alive. I treasure my childhood memory because Dad was there. He kept me smiling all day. He would play tag with me. At night, he would read to me bedtime stories. On weekends, we would usually go fishing together. I miss him...


        Three years ago, Dad had an accident as he was fishing at the sea. People said that his small boat was shattered during a storm. I didn’t believe it until his dead body was found near the shore. I remember crying all night long. I was very sad because I’m not really close to my Mum. She rarely spends time with me since I was very little. It’s always been Dad who kept me company. When I was little, I didn’t understand. But as I grow up, I start to comprehend the whole thing.

        Since Dad died, Mum always comes home drunk, with this one evil-looking man, Pablo. She says that he’s my new father. A year ago, they got married. They always quarrel but they still stick together. I really don’t understand Mum. I try to talk this matter with her, but often she asks me to stay out of her life. But I care for her. After all, she’s the only one I have left in this world. Yes, alone. I have no ideas who are my grandparents or uncles or aunts because Mum had told me before that her marriage with Dad was unblessed. They were kicked out of the family hierarchy when they eloped to get married. And often, she would say how regretful she felt that she married my Dad. It tears me every time because I still remember Dad told me, “I am the luckiest man to have Layla as my wife, Brianna.”

        I look at the wall clock. It’s almost 12am. I’ve been dreaming too much. Mum should be home anytime, now. I should prepare her supper.


        And just then, I hear loud voices, shouting, from outside, and within minutes, Mum rushes in, following Pablo into their room. Within seconds, I hear them quarrelling again. I couldn’t catch the topic because Mum always speaks in her native Frenchsim language, a language neither Dad nor Mum taught me. But I’m worried. I’m worried that Pablo would hurt Mum again. I must do something! I cannot stay quiet anymore!

        I bust in the door. They’re still quarrelling. They do not bother me, as if I’m not there. And then, I notice Mum’s face is bleeding.


“You hurt my Mum again, you animal!” I shout at his face.

“Who the hell are you to stick your head in our business?” I ignore him.

Are you okay, Mum? He hurts you with a light bulb again, doesn't he?” I turn to Mum.


She gives me no respond. She walks away instead. I turn my evil eyes to Pablo. He seems to be so relax as if he’s innocent. I summon all my courage and I burst out everything.

“You, animal! You’re such a coward, evil man! You keep hurting my Mum!”

“You have no right to say this, Brianna. I suggest you to keep your head out. Don’t dare to budge in because you have no idea what problem you’re getting yourself into.” He threats me. But, I’m not afraid. I must stand up for my Mum. My only Mum.


“I’m warning you! You hurt my Mum again, I promise you’ll be paid equally.”

“Oh, really? What are you gonna do? You’re gonna call the police? Go ahead. I’m not afraid.”

“I will kill you myself!” I scream at his face.

“Oh, you’re gonna kill me? Hey, nerdy. You can’t even stand up for yourself, why stand up for someone who clearly doesn’t need your help? I’m telling you a fact. She doesn’t love you. Suck it, Bri.”

“Of course she loves me! I’m her daughter! It’s you who ruins our lives!”

“Blaa.. Blaa.. Blaa..” Pablo gives me a face. He makes a puppet out of his hand and imitates me when I speak. It’s annoying.


“Just bear in mind. You’ll regret this!” I warn him one last time before I get out of the room. Before I leave, he tells me the same thing.

“Bear in mind, too, Bri. It’s you who’s gonna regret this.”

And he burst out his evil laughing. I just take a deep breath and get out to get to my Mum. She’s sitting on the old sofa. I come and sit next to her.

“Are you okay?”

She doesn’t answer.

“Speak to me, Mum.”

Still, she keeps quiet. But I see her eyes are moisted in tears. Abruptly, I offer her a shoulder, something I have never done.


“Mum, it’s okay. Everything’s gonna be alright. I promise.” And I reach out an arm to her and...

“No, thanks. I don’t need it.” She pushes me away. I am dumbfounded. And just like that, she gets up and leaves me. Again.






* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * NEXT PAGE




No comments:

Post a Comment